NOW OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
EVERY SATURDAY FROM MAY 5 TO JUNE 29, 2018 Noon to 4 pm
JULY – SEPTEMBER 2018  by appointment only from 1 – 4 pm

For appointments call:
Anna Ladwig at 780-538-1216
Wanda Zenner  at 780-538-2702
Evelyn Ingraham at 780-957-3626

Saturday May 5 dawned warm and sunny; a perfect backdrop for the first day that the Church was officially open to the public. After a thorough cleaning, the little building shone and eagerly awaited for guests to arrive.

Anna Ladwig has generously volunteered to host the days that the Church will be open and looks forward to sharing her knowledge not only of the Church and Cemetery but also of the Glen Leslie District.

Although there were not as many guests as hoped for, it is still early in the spring and hopefully there will be more who will want to have a leisurely look at the little building. The original organ will now be permanently located at the Church and Anna played wonderful renditions of some of her favorite songs.

As well, there are permanent displays including pictures of all the teachers who taught when the Church was utilized as the school house for the Somme School District along with biographies of the teachers including an extract from the diary of one of them. There is a wonderful picture of Thomas and Margaret Leslie for whom the Church is named after.

An album with various pictures of the Centennial Celebration along with a photo of Wanda Zenner and Harold Bulford (County Councillor) taken when the Glen Leslie Church Preservation Group received the Heritage Conservation Award from the Alberta Historical Resources Foundation.

 

Mark your calendars everyone – come out and see the Provincial Historic Site known as the Glen Leslie Church and all the treasurers that are inside.

By Wanda Zenner